Classic hollandaise sauce, made by whisking egg yolks and plenty of butter over gentle heat, can be pretty intimidating to make at home. Any number of things can go wrong that can make the sauce separate into a clumpy, greasy mess. In fact, many home cooks reach for packaged powder mixes as a hollandaise shortcut… but these also shortcut the flavor and are full of artificial ingredients.
Nothing beats making the sauce from scratch. This healthy hollandaise sauce recipe is more forgiving than the traditional version, and yields excellent results with about half the calories. It uses protein-packed Greek yogurt to build a creamy, indulgent sauce with a lot less fat. If you’re a bit skeptical about yogurt in your hollandaise, trust us–it tastes just like the real deal!
No eggs Benedict is complete without creamy hollandaise sauce; the sauce may even be the best part. But, hollandaise sauce is not just for eggs Benedict! Drizzle it over an omelet or frittata, serve as a dipping sauce for artichoke leaves or broccoli tots, or spoon the sauce over fish or chicken.
- Hot water
- ⅔ cup reduced-fat (2%) plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 3 large egg yolks
- ½ tsp. Dijon mustard (optional)
- ½ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1 pinch ground white pepper (optional)
- Ground cayenne pepper (to taste; optional)
- 3 Tbsp. organic grass-fed butter, melted
- Fill large saucepan ¼ full of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; gently boil.
- Place a heat resistant bowl over the saucepan so that it rests snuggly like a lid.
- Combine yogurt, lemon juice, egg yolks, and mustard (if desired) in a medium bowl; whisk to blend. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (if desired).
- Add yogurt mixture to bowl over saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat; add butter, stirring constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, or until sauce has cooled.
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 4 g
Cholesterol: 81 mg
Sodium: 174 mg
Carbohydrates: 1 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 1 g
Protein: 3 g
Body Beast Portions
Portion Fix Containers