Romanian cabbage rolls (sarmale)
4 hours 30 mins
Author: Madelyn Jewell
* 2 to 3 lbs ground pork and beef (or whatever meat you prefer)
* ½ cup long grain rice
* 1-2 onions chopped
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 L tomato juice
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 large sour cabbage
* 15 slices of bacon or any smoked meat
1. Chop the onions and fry them in the oil until tender. Add rice and cook for another minute. Add 2 teaspoons of tomato juice and cook for another minute. Add the mixture to ground pork and beef and add salt, pepper, dill and parsley and mix well with your hands. Now it’s time to assemble the rolls.
2. Remove all the cabbage leaves and cut each leaf in half. Romanian cabbage rolls are traditionally smaller than the Polish cabbage rolls, so that’s why I recommend cutting each leaf in half, otherwise you can use the entire leave for one roll.
3. Fill each half leaf with a big tbsp of the meat mixture and roll. Put all the rolls in a big pot and add the liter of tomato juice over the rolls, the bacon and thyme. Add more water if needed, the juice should cover the rolls entirely. Cover the pot and let them cook for 4 hours. Add more water when needed. When ready serve them hot with a bit of sour cream on top. Enjoy ?