The Holiday season is at our door! Christmas and New Year’s all are happening in the span of 5 weeks. Does this mean five weeks of temptations, overeating and indulgences? It’s up to you! Studies show that the weight you gain during the holidays is usually never lost and is mostly made up of fat. Your body fat percentage will go up and that can be difficult to change.
Here are some tips to help you survive, thrive and keep your body fat percentage down during the holidays.
– Stay focused on eating a healthy diet.
– During the week, continue to eat a diet full of colorful vegetables, dark leafy greens, lean protein, some fruits and healthy fats.
– Don’t starve yourself so you can then over eat later. Fill up on healthy, low calorie foods before the holiday celebrations.
– When you are at a holiday party, make good choices but don’t deprive yourself. If you are following a healthy diet most of the time, a treat should not derail your commitment to keeping your body fat percentage down.
– If you do overindulge, be sure get back on track the next day. Limit your calories the next day and get most of them from a variety of vegetables. Also, drink plenty of water to flush out the toxins.
– If you are the host, send the leftover food and desserts home with your guests so it is out of your fridge
– Don’t miss an opportunity to burn those extra calories. Find creative ways to get your body moving.
– When you go to the mall holiday shopping, don’t hunt for a close parking spot. Be thankful for the lack of parking, pick a spot far from the doors and get in a brisk walk. Parking further away can cut down on your frustration and the time you spend circling the lot or following someone to their car to take their spot (only to find out they were just dropping off their purchases and going back for more!). The farther parking spot can also makes for an easy get away!
– At work, take the stairs instead of the elevator. Even try a quick walk on your lunch break or use the restroom that is further away or on another floor.
– Make a plan to workout at least 30 minutes a day 4-5x/ week! It will help you with Holiday stress and to get your blood flowing for all of the extra energy you are going to need.
– Remember to find some time to relax and recover. Stress will cause you to release the fat storing hormone, cortisol. You will want to keep this down to a minimum.
– Just 10 minutes of quiet time will help to recharge your batteries. Turn off the music, TV, phone and computer. Close your eyes and listen to your breath. You can do this either sitting in a chair or lying down.
– Take a nice hot bath with Epson salts or be mindful when taking your shower. Be thankful for your strong healthy body.
– Take a deep breath while stuck in holiday traffic or in the long lines in the mall. Plan ahead and shop early or at an off-peak time. Or better yet, stay in your jammies with a cup of coffee and order online.
I hope that this helps you! The holidays can be a challenging time of year. There is no reason to make them more difficult by adding unwanted body fat. It’s a holi-DAY not a holi-WEEK, so can treat yourself on the holiday but you also have to be mindful the days leading up to and after the holiday. Start the New Year off right by making a commitment now to be in the best shape ever in 2017!
I know that there are so many tempations such as holiday parties, traveling, cocktail hours and more to get you off track. I will be sharing all of my tips to staying on track and working with a small group of committed people from the CANADA and USA.
If you are looking for a way to stay accountable to your health and fitness goals. If you are looking for short workouts, meal plans, healthy swaps to your favorite holiday foods and someone to keep your butt in gear when you would rather not do it. Then I am here!
I am going to be kicking off the holiday survival guide group on the 28th of November.
In this group I am going to match you up with a fitness program that meets your needs, you will replace 1 meal a day with Shakeology and for the duration of the group I am going to help you stay on track, reach your goals, have more energy and a positive mindset to handle all the obstacles life throws at you!
Are you in??
Let me help you make it your healthiest holiday yet!
***You cannot currently be working with another coach. You must be my customer or coach to participate.